The cold season is fast approaching, are you ready?
The common cold is a contagious, viral infection of the upper respiratory system. The common cold is the most frequent infectious disease in people and is the leading cause of doctor visits, missed days from work and school. Colds usually last between seven to ten days.
There is no cure for the common cold but can relieve your symptoms by:
• Getting lots of rest
• Drinking plenty of fluids
• Gargling with warm salt water
• Using throat lozenges
• Taking acetaminophen – Tylenol, for example – for headache or fever (Never give aspirin to anyone under the age of 18)
A Cold Care Kit can help soothe your symptoms and make your cold or flu more bearable. Not only is it easy to put together, the supplies are budget friendly!
You will need:
• A cup with lid (we used a latte cup with a snug lid)
• Facial tissue packet (lotion or chamomile infused for less irritation)
• Individual iodized salt packets
• Herbal teas
• Thermometer strips
• Throat lozenges or cough drops
• Hand sanitizer
• Small fever/pain reducer packets (such as Advil® or Tylenol®)
Place items in the cup and secure with lid until needed. Replenish after use.
If your symptoms persist or worsen, call 226-2228 to make an appointment.
How do you battle the flu and cold season? Want to hear from you!